This main dish from Bea Taus of Fremont, California has a wonderful fresh garden taste. The herbs add flavor—no need for salt. "I like to serve these peppers with green salad, French bread and fresh fruit," says Bea.
Featured In: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
- 6 green peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large kettle, blanch peppers in boiling water 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet with a nonstick finish, brown the turkey. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, combine tomato liquid, onion, celery, garlic and herbs. Simmer until vegetables are tender and the mixture has begun to thicken. Stir in tomatoes, turkey and rice.
- Stuff into peppers and place in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Top each pepper with about 1 tablespoon cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Stuffed Green Peppers in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p22
Reviews for Herbed Stuffed Green Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review