Herbed Standing Rib Roast Recipe
We're a meat-and-potatoes family, so this roast is right up our alley. It really is the highlight of an elegant dinner for special guests. Leftovers are great for sandwiches, too.
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- Assorted herbs and fruit, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over roast. Place the onions, carrots and celery in a large roasting pan; place roast over vegetables.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, for au jus, strain and discard vegetables. Pour drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add wine to roasting pan, stirring to remove any browned bits. Stir in drippings; heat through. Serve with roast. Garnish platter with herbs and fruit if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Standing Rib Roast in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p10
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Standing Rib Roast(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >