Herbed Soft Breadsticks Recipe
Be prepared to refill the basket when you put out these irresistibly chewy breadsticks, recommends Laneta Culp from Cazenovia, Wisconsin. “They were very popular at the bakery I once worked for.”
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried oregano, marjoram and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Italian herb seasoning
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, egg, oil, sugar, salt, oregano, marjoram, thyme, garlic powder and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 6-in. x 1-in. strips. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg; sprinkle with herb seasoning. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 32 breadsticks.
Originally published as Herbed Soft Breadsticks in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p61
Reviews for Herbed Soft Breadsticks(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2013
These are delicious. I do add more garlic powder for a more intense flavour.
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2011
I've made this recipe twice & both times the bread just didn't have enough taste for me. Perhaps bread flour might bring about a better result.
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2008
very very nice
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Bread Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >