Herbed Shepherd's Pie
"This one-dish meal pleases the meat-and-potato lovers in my family...and they also get their veggies," writes field editor Margaret Wagner Allen of Abingdon, Virginia.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth, divided
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in 1 cup broth, bay leaves, cloves, pepper and thyme.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover; cook 15-20 minutes or until