Herbed Shepherd's Pie Recipe
"This one-dish meal pleases the meat-and-potato lovers in my family...and they also get their veggies," writes field editor Margaret Wagner Allen of Abingdon, Virginia.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth, divided
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup broth, bay leaves, cloves, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover; cook 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes with milk, butter, chives and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in cheese; keep warm.
- 3. Add vegetables and remaining salt to the beef mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk flour and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Discard bay leaves and cloves.
- 4. Transfer beef mixture to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Herbed Shepherd's Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC