Herbed Sausage & Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipe
I believe in the wisdom of using a wine that you'd be happy to drink for cooking, rather than an inferior one. I use a Chianti for this sausage and herb sauce.—Jennifer Storment, Belgrade, Montana
- 2 pounds Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup dry red wine, divided
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons each Italian seasoning and dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, marjoram and rosemary, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook pork sausage, Italian sausage and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Add 2 tablespoons wine to Dutch oven, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over meat mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, bouillon, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, bay leaves and pepper.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in remaining wine; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves; serve sauce with pasta. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without pasta): 297 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1274mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Herbed Sausage & Tomato Pasta Sauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC