I believe in the wisdom of using a wine that you'd be happy to drink for cooking, rather than an inferior one. I use a Chianti for this sausage and herb sauce.—Jennifer Storment, Belgrade, Montana
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup dry red wine, divided
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons each Italian seasoning and dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, marjoram and rosemary, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook pork sausage, Italian sausage and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add 2 tablespoons wine to Dutch oven, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over meat mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, bouillon, Italian seasoning, oregano, sugar, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, bay leaves and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in remaining wine; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves; serve sauce with pasta. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Herbed Sausage & Tomato Pasta Sauce in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p50
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Herbed Sausage & Tomato Pasta Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review