Herbed Roast Chicken Recipe
- One 2-gallon resealable plastic bag
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1. In the 2-gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the orange juice, oil, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, chives and seasonings. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Place bag in a pan. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Drain and discard marinade. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.
- 3. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 8 servings.
6 ounce-weight: 433 calories, 28g fat (8g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 42g protein.
Reviews for Herbed Roast Chicken
"I made this tonight. I got it in the marinade later than planned so it only marinated for a little more than six hours. It was moist. It had a great flavor. It wasn't heavy or greasy, it was light an had a taste I would describe as bright. My Son has Aspbergers (ASD) loved it. He doesn't love anything except chilimac and toaster waffles so this was a WIN in our house."
"I've used this recipe a couple of times now. The chicken is always as beautiful as it is delicious. The last time, I didn't have time to let the chicken marinade, so I just cooked it in the marinade, and basted it with the juices. People asked if I bought a rotisserie because of it's flavor, and moistness."
"Wonderful! The chicken was so moist and tender. I think marinating it overnight worked wonders. My mother couldn't stop raving about how great it was. I also lined my roasting pan with carrots, celery and onions and placed the chicken on top of the veggies. The drippings from the chicken made the veggies outstanding as well!"
"This is now my favorite roasted chicken recipe! My chicken turned out moist & full of flavor. The only changes I made was I used apple juice in place of the orange juice & my chicken was only 5 lbs. It took my chicken a full 2 hours to bake. I used the little that was left over to make chicken soup. Will be making this one again soon!"
"Super easy and wonderful with rice!"
"It was very tasty but I ruined the chciken because I tried to cook until a thermometer reads 180 and never did, I had 140. So next time I will not wait 180."
"i absolutely love this recipe. Instead of roasting it hame I had drumsticks and chicken breasts and it came out sooooooooo moist and flavorful!"
"It was very good, the marinade helped the chicken to stay moist while roasting."
"WOW - really easy, looks beautiful, and tastes amazing :)"
"I was very disappointed in this recipe, Flavor was nothing special. Will not make again."
"The chicken turned out moist and had a great flavor! This recipe is a keeper and one I will use on turkey as well."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.