Herbed Roast Beef Recipe
A savory herb rub flavors this juicy roast that makes an impression every time my mom serves it for dinner. The creamy horseradish sauce adds a little kick to the crispy-coated slices of beef. -Kerry Sullivan, Maitland, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, marjoram, savory and thyme
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bone-in beef rib roasts (4 to 6 pounds each)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, rosemary, basil, marjoram, savory, thyme, sage and salt; rub over roasts. Place roasts fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Top with onions and rosemary sprigs.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Discard onions and rosemary. Let roasts stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with beef. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC