Herbed Rice Pilaf
This savory side dish has been a family favorite for years. Our 12-year-old daughter, Jennifer, is an expert with this recipe, which is a great help for a busy working mom like me. We sure enjoy this rice dish in the summer with a grilled entree.
-Jeri Dobrowski, Beach, North Dakota
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + standing
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (2 to 2-1/2 ounces) chicken noodle soup mix
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the rice, celery and onion in butter,
- stirring constantly, until rice is browned. Stir in the next six
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes. Stir in the pimientos if desired.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a
- fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 226 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.