Herbed Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef rump or chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Combine seasonings; sprinkle over meat. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Add the carrots, potatoes, onion and water.
- 3. Cover and bake for 1 hour longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Thicken pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 469 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.