- 1 boneless beef rump or chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 8 medium carrots, cut into thirds
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Combine seasonings; sprinkle over meat. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Add the carrots, potatoes, onion and water.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Thicken pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Pot Roast
"This is simple to prepare and the herbs come together to make a winning pot roast."
"My husband and I really enjoyed this pot roast. The herbal flavors are very complimentary and I will definitely make it again!"
"My family love the herb blend flavor of this recipe. It makes good flavorful gravy as well."
"I have used this recipe since it came out in the "Taste of Home" magazine many years ago. All the men in my family crave a good pot roast with gravy and this one makes a very flavorful gravy with the herbs in it. I usually make it in the crock pot rather than the oven but I've made it a lot in the oven as well. Either way, it's great!"
"My family doesn't like pot roast, but this recipe is the ONLY one they will eat. We love how moist the meat is, and tasty too! Nothing better on a cold winters day than the smell (and taste) of this delicious roast."
"Herbed Pot Roast. It is wonderful. Its much better when it comes out of the crock-pot. My brother loves this so much. When he comes home for the holidays I make sure I make it for him."
"I make this pot roast once every couple weeks, it is delicious and the recipe doesn't need to be changed at all."
"My brother just loves this Herbed Pot Roast when I make it for him. I also love it my self."
"Wonderful, moist pot roast. I made no changes and am making it a second time right now!"