- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown roast over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine water, broth, ketchup, garlic and seasonings; pour over roast. Add onions and bay leaf. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Add mushrooms; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with onions and mushrooms. Thicken pan drippings for gravy if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Herbed Pork Roast with Onions and Mushrooms
"Instead of using canned mushrooms, I used a gluten free cream of mushroom soup. The roast turned out great with roasted potatoes."
"I made this one in the crockpot and it was amazingly tender. Perfect texture if you want to use leftovers to make pulled pork. The accompanying sauce was pretty good too - even my super-picky 8 year old liked it! Personally I thought it could use a bit more spice to it; next time I'll try to kick it up a bit and see what happens"
"I made this as written. It was tender and my husband enjoyed it but I did not care for the flavor myself. Maybe it was the ketchup? I would not discourage others from making it, though. It was just not to my taste."