- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°) plus 2 tablespoons warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter over low heat until tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, herbs, yeast and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Remove to a wire rack; brush with melted butter. Cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Herbed Peasant Bread
Sort By :
"I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup regular. Turned out great."
"I made this recipe today in my bread machine on manual. I made to dough into 4 balls and baked that way. EXECELLANT!!! I don't like rosemary so didn't put in. Wonderful flavor, great crumb and moist. Will be making this recipe as one of my regulars."
"I love making this bread, changing the herbs to what I like, adding garlic to it as well. Makes a great addition to a big pot of soup."
"This was excellent. no stars available to rate."
"This recipe produces a most FANTASTIC loaf of bread. It's moist and flavorful! I will continue to make this bread to serve with my Italian food"