Herbed Parmesan Monkey Bread Recipe
This bread will make your house smell wonderful while it bakes. The combination of herbs and seasoning make it irresistible. It's my most requested recipe. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, thyme, and rosemary, crushed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, oil and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, sesame seeds, garlic salt, paprika and herbs. Punch dough down. Divide into 32 pieces; roll each into a ball.
- 4. Drizzle 2 teaspoons butter into a 10-in. tube pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with a third of the cheese mixture. Top with 16 balls. Repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (32 pieces).
2 pieces equals 150 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC