Herbed Onion Focaccia Recipe
This recipe makes three savory flat breads, but don't be surprised to see them all disappear from your dinner table!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons small fresh sage leaves or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Seasoned olive oil or additional olive oil, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons oil, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide into three portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape each portion into an 8-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make several 1/4-in. indentations in each loaf.
- 4. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with green onions, rosemary, sage and oregano. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve with olive oil for dipping if desired. Yield: 3 loaves.
1 piece equals 217 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC