Herbed Onion Bagels Recipe
I create my delightful bagels by adapting several other recipes. I enjoy them spread with cream cheese or onion and chive cream cheese.—Pam Kaiser, Mansfield, Missouri
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup warm water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In bread machine pan, place the water, sour cream, onion mixture, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, herbs, garlic, flour and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into nine balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; flatten bagels slightly. In a non-aluminum Dutch oven, bring water to a boil with remaining sugar and salt. Drop bagels, one at a time, into water. Cook for 30 seconds; turn and cook 30 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- 4. Sprinkle two ungreased baking sheets with cornmeal; place bagels 2 in. apart on prepared pans. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 9 bagels.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC