Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread Recipe
This beautiful, golden pan bread is especially good with a steaming bowl of homemade soup. The oats give it a distinctive flavor, and we really like the herb and Parmesan cheese topping.—Karen Bourne, Magrath, Alberta
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. In a small bowl, combine boiling water and oats; cool to 110°-115°. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, butter, salt, egg, oat mixture and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down and press evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. With very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1-1/2 in. apart completely through dough. Repeat in opposite direction, creating a diamond patter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Redefine pattern by gently poking along cut lines with a knife tip. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and garlic powder. Brush bread with remaining butter; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake for 5 minutes. Loosely cover with foil and bake 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unrisen rolls. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Let rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake as directed. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 316 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC