- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-3/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Beat in oat mixture until moistened. Add egg. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Press dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush with 4 tablespoons melted butter. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining butter. Combine the cheese, basil, garlic powder and oregano; sprinkle over bread. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Oat Pan Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p60
Reviews for Herbed Oat Pan Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review