Herbed Oat Pan Bread Recipe
The Parmesan cheese and herb toppings on this rich pan bread is too tempting to resist. Eating just one piece isn't an option around our house!
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-3/4 to 4-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Beat in oat mixture until moistened. Add egg. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Press dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush with 4 tablespoons melted butter. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining butter. Combine the cheese, basil, garlic powder and oregano; sprinkle over bread. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Oat Pan Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p60
Reviews for Herbed Oat Pan Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review