Herbed Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 3/4 to 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/4 cups broth, rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil; cook until mixture is reduced by two-thirds.
- 2. Add 2/3 cup broth, sherry, teriyaki and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir over high heat until mixture is reduced by two-thirds. Add remaining broth. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine milk powder and cornstarch; gradually stir in milk until blended. Stir into sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese, mustard and oregano. Stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 123 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 577 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat-free milk, 1 fat.