Herbed Macaroni N Cheese Recipe
This recipe, shared by Lois McAtee of Oceanside, California, shows you can watch your diet and still enjoy down-home country cooking. "The herbs make it different from other macaroni and cheese recipes," she notes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add marjoram, thyme, nutmeg and paprika; stir until blended. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir in mustard and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well. Add macaroni and cottage cheese; stir until coated.
- 3. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 372 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 meat.
Reviews for Herbed Macaroni N Cheese
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC