Herbed Macaroni N Cheese Recipe
This recipe, shared by Lois McAtee of Oceanside, California, shows you can watch your diet and still enjoy down-home country cooking. "The herbs make it different from other macaroni and cheese recipes," she notes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add marjoram, thyme, nutmeg and paprika; stir until blended. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in mustard and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well. Add macaroni and cottage cheese; stir until coated.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Macaroni N Cheese (Baked macaroni n cheese) in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p17
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Macaroni N Cheese(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >