Herbed Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup cubed Havarti or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 1-1/2-qt. casserole and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat; add the sour cream, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and Havarti cheese. Stir until melted.
- 3. Pour sauce over macaroni; toss to coat. Combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 315 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.