- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup cubed Havarti or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 1-1/2-qt. casserole and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat; add the sour cream, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and Havarti cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour sauce over macaroni; toss to coat. Combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Macaroni and Cheese
"I used Muenster cheese, then instead of bread crumbs, I used crushed White Cheddar Cheez-its. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Took it to a church pot luck and didn't bring a bit home."
"Very good. A big hit with my family."
"This is very good and easy. My kids loved it. I didn't have Havarti or Muenster, so I used all cheddar. Will definitely make again!"
"Good taste and easy to make exactly to recepie"
"Definitely a keeper, I used half havarti and half muenster, it was so rich and creamy, everyone absolutely loved it!"
"Wow! very good and very quick to put together."
"I made this for my first time ever making homemade mac 'n cheese-- we loved it!"
"I didn't have the specific cheeses used in the recipe so I substituted some things, but it turned out wonderful and creamy. A hit with my picky 7-year old!"
"Made this recipe for a family get together and everyone LOVED it. I've since shared the recipe with three family members!"
"Very yummy, but a good twist from the processed cheese mac & cheese dishes."