- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup cubed Havarti or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 1-1/2-qt. casserole and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat; add the sour cream, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and Havarti cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour sauce over macaroni; toss to coat. Combine the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and remaining cheddar cheese; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Macaroni and Cheese
"I used Muenster cheese, then instead of bread crumbs, I used crushed White Cheddar Cheez-its. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Took it to a church pot luck and didn't bring a bit home."
"Very good. A big hit with my family."
"This is very good and easy. My kids loved it. I didn't have Havarti or Muenster, so I used all cheddar. Will definitely make again!"
"Good taste and easy to make exactly to recepie"
"Definitely a keeper, I used half havarti and half muenster, it was so rich and creamy, everyone absolutely loved it!"