Herbed Lentils and Rice Recipe
- 2-2/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or additional broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring twice. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Fact: 1 cup equals 329 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Herbed Lentils and Rice
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.