Herbed Lentils and Rice Recipe
- 2-2/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or additional broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring twice. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 329 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 12g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Herbed Lentils and Rice
"My husband does not like rice or lentils but he said this was pretty good. Shocker.I really like it and will be making it again. I forgot to add the 1/4 cup wine/broth so it was done in 1 hour 15 minutes and a bit dry, but my fault. Still delicious. Thank you for this recipe!"
"Lentils aren't my favorite food, but this was good, full of flavor."
"Our family loves this as a side dish, especially with curried chicken. Even our 13 month old enjoys it! I made it without cheese as I have dairy allergies. I covered it with tin foil to keep the top from drying out without the cheese. It was still an extremely flavorful dish!"
"My whole family liked this including my 1-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son. It seemed like a lot of liquid when I put everything in the pan, but it is all absorbed during cooking. I served this as a side dish with fish."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.