Looking for dishes that are both healthy and yummy, Judy Manbeck latched on to lentils, "I'm trying to incorporate more legumes and whole grains into our diet, so this blend of lentils and rice is perfect," she writes from Chanute, Kansas.
- 2-2/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or additional broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring twice. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Lentils and Rice in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Lentils and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review