Herbed Italian Rib Roast
"This amazing recipe has been a favorite in my family for years. I like to roast twice as many vegetables so I can make a quick, full-flavored hash with the leftovers." – Lillian Julow, Gainesville, Florida
10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound parsnips, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, quartered
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place roast in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, parsnips, carrots and onions.
- Drizzle with butter; toss to coat. Spoon vegetables around roast;
- sprinkle with rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours longer or until meat reaches desired doneness
- (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°), stirring vegetables occasionally.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.