I got this recipe from a California cousin back in 1953, and it's just as popular with my family now as it was then. The slow simmering really blends the tastes.—LaVerne Creamer, Paducah, Texas
Featured In: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients except pasta and cheese.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until the sauce is as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Serve with pasta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Italian Meat Sauce in Country Ground Beef 1993, p78
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Herbed Italian Meat Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2009
"very simply delicious. solid base for improvisation/creativity!"