- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients except pasta and cheese.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until the sauce is as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Serve with pasta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Herbed Italian Meat Sauce
Sort By :
very simply delicious. solid base for improvisation/creativity!