Herbed Havarti in Pastry Recipe
At holiday cocktail parties, I love surprising guests with this impressive Havarti baked inside puff pastry. The wrapped cheese is pleasantly seasoned with herbs and served alongside crackers and fresh fruit.—Darci Truax, Coupeville, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 blocks (8 ounces each) dill Havarti cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt, optional
- Assorted crackers and fresh fruit
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the parsley, thyme, rosemary and oregano. Spread mustard over cheese blocks; roll in herbs to coat.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to about 13 in. long (or long enough to fit cheese blocks end to end). Place cheese on pastry and fold pastry around cheese; trim excess dough. Pinch edges to seal. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 3. Brush pastry with egg. With floured cutters, cut decorative shapes from dough scraps if desired; arrange over the top and brush with egg. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm with crackers and fruit. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (calculated without crackers and fruit) equals 188 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC