Herbed Golden Squash Soup Recipe
I served this unusual soup last Thanksgiving and received rave reviews - even people who don't usually like squash enjoyed its hearty flavor. To dress it up, I sometimes add a dollop of yogurt on top.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash, divided
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice, divided
- 1 cup apple juice, divided
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil with nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme and bay leaves until onion is tender. Stir in the water, celery and carrot; cover and simmer until carrot is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- 2. In a blender, place half of the squash and half of the tomato, apple and orange juices; add half of the vegetable mixture. Puree; return to pan. Repeat with the remaining squash, juices and vegetable mixture; return to pan. Add salt and pepper. Heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 118 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC