Herbed Fennel and Onion
Wondering what to do with those fennel bulbs you brought home from the market? Try them in this aromatic and savory side dish that’s so rich, no one will guess it’s healthy. Vinegar adds a slight tang. —Meghann Minton, Portland, Oregon
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion and fennel in oil until crisp-tender.
- Add the broth, sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil; cook until broth
- is evaporated.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 109 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 437 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.