Wondering what to do with those fennel bulbs you brought home from the market? Try them in this aromatic and savory side dish that’s so rich, no one will guess it’s healthy. Vinegar adds a slight tang. —Meghann Minton, Portland, Oregon
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion and fennel in oil until crisp-tender. Add the broth, sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil; cook until broth is evaporated.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the vinegar, salt and pepper. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Fennel and Onion in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p55
Reviews for Herbed Fennel and Onion
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review