Herbed Cornish Pasties Recipe
These hand-held golden packets are packed with the irresistible combination of beef and potatoes.—Maribeth Edwards, Follansbee, West Virginia
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, basil and thyme; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms a ball. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet; gradually stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually add water; whisk until smooth.
- 3. Return beef to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrot and onion. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 4. Divide pastry into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 3/4 cup filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- 5. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cut three slits in top of each; brush with egg.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 910 calories, 55 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 1,368 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC