- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, basil and thyme; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms a ball. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet; gradually stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually add water; whisk until smooth.
- Return beef to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrot and onion. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Divide pastry into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 3/4 cup filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cut three slits in top of each; brush with egg.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Herbed Cornish Pasties
Sort By :
Soooo yummy!! It seems to make a large amount of filling, so I freeze half and then next time I just have to make the crust, easy!!
I made this several times years ago, but through moving a number of times lost the recipe. So happy to find it again. Very tasty and satisfying.
I love this recipe! The pasty dough is seasoned just right and the filling ingredients are great. Wonderful flavor!