- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, basil and thyme; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms a ball. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet; gradually stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually add water; whisk until smooth.
- Return beef to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrot and onion. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Divide pastry into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 3/4 cup filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Cut three slits in top of each; brush with egg.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Herbed Cornish Pasties
Sort By :
"I use the crust recipe and leftover pot roast (including carrots and potatoes) from the crock pot and it is one of my family's favorites. I serve these with beef gravy on the side. I make large batches and freeze baked pasties for future quick dinners. I thaw them and heat in the microwave to serve."
"Soooo yummy!! It seems to make a large amount of filling, so I freeze half and then next time I just have to make the crust, easy!!"
"I made this several times years ago, but through moving a number of times lost the recipe. So happy to find it again. Very tasty and satisfying."
"I love this recipe! The pasty dough is seasoned just right and the filling ingredients are great. Wonderful flavor!"