Herbed Cornish Hens Recipe
The refreshing sauce Mom makes with thyme, lemon juice and butter gives these hens savory flavor throughout. The seasonings in this recipe also work great on a whole roasted chicken. Either way, the result is a mouthwatering feast.—Maria Costello, Monroe, North Carolina
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt, divided
- 1-1/8 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the hens on a wire rack in a large roasting pan. In a bowl, combine lemon juice, butter, paprika and 1 teaspoon each of thyme, seasoned salt and garlic powder. Pour half over the hens; set the remaining mixture aside for basting. Combine salt, pepper and remaining thyme, seasoned salt and garlic powder; sprinkle over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Baste with reserved lemon juice mixture. Bake 30 minutes longer, basting occasionally, or until the meat is tender and juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 460 calories, 40 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC