- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place rice in a 5-qt. slow cooker; set aside seasoning packet. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil and butter. Add to slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender; place over chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, water, bacon, herbs and contents of seasoning packet. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Chicken with Wild Rice
"This was a good and tasty recipe, but it wasn't amazing. I personally did not like the bacon in it, but my husband loved the bacon. We did not use the butter and oil, as we cooked the chicken and mushrooms in the bacon fat."
"This was delicious and easy to make! And made me reminisce about my childhood! Here is my blog post on it: http://heatskitchen.com/2015/12/21/slow-cooker-chicken-and-wild-rice/"
"We had this for dinner tonight. It was SO good. I browned the chicken in a Tbls of the bacon fat and then followed that with the mushrooms when the chicken was done. I didn't have the dried tarragon, but it had a ton of flavor. I also used 4 large chicken breasts instead of the 6. I have 2 kids that are not mushroom fans, but they ate them mixed in with everything else. Highly recommend."
"I love this recipe! I have made this recipe many times, and I change little. I do add a little extra wild rice to the rice mix... just plain wild rice by itself, because I like it. I add about 1/4 cup. I decrease the water to 3/4 cup as I prefer al dente rice ... found it a little mushy with a whole cup. I don't always add tarragon. But it's a great recipe!"
"This recipe was amazing! Next time I will just add a little more liquid. It did cook up in less time for me tho."
"UPDATE: I made this using Zatarain's Long Grain and Wild Rice mix instead of Uncle Ben's and I don't recommend that you use Zatarain's. it was a little too salty and the wild rice was crunchier than I like so I'll be sure to buy Uncle Ben's brand for this recipe in the future. Again, I used about 1/4 cup more liquid than the recipe calls for. We liked this a lot. The rice wasn't mushy after 5 hours. Maybe the others have the slow cookers that cook too hot. I did have to add more liquid in the form of chicken broth, but that was the only change I made."
"I would give this 5 stars but once again they are "missing". Very good, didn't find it too salty at all and I never salt anything other than popcorn and french fries. chicken was moist and rice was done. Excellent flavor."
"Way too salty! And I like salt, but i couldn't even eat it."
"This was very good. I used 2 boxes of rice mix. Next time I will add a little more water or broth for the extra rice. Everyone loved it. Will definitely make this again."
"This was very good, altho i think i cooked it too long as the breasts were a little dry and the rice a little done. I will shorten the cook time next time becuz even overcooked it was very good."