Herbed Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon each rubbed sage and poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen noodles or 2 cups cooked noodles
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, place the first 13 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to kettle. Add frozen noodles and cook for 20 minutes or until tender, or add cooked noodles and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
One cup (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon and without added salt) equals 91 calories, 181 mg sodium, 31 mg cholesterol, 8 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 2 g fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.