- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon each rubbed sage and poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen noodles or 2 cups cooked noodles
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, place the first 13 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; allow to cool. Debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to kettle. Add frozen noodles and cook for 20 minutes or until tender, or add cooked noodles and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Chicken Soup
Sort By :
I have been using this same recipe for years ! I make it with dumplings .
Just what I was looking for to use bones and wings after deboning breasts. Grated carrots to disguise it from my boys. Worked! Put in cooked rice, instead of noodles.
Thank you for a REAL chicken soup recipe! I've been through countless recipes that call for a can of some soup and a bag of frozen vegetables. This is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm going to make it with rice instead of noodles. Thank you! Thank you!
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >