Herbed Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, broil chicken 6 in. from the heat until juices run clear; let stand for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Shred chicken with two forks. Drain noodles; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
- 3. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, place half of the noodles, overlapping them. Layer with half of the cheese mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1 piece) equals 240 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,038 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.