Herbed Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, broil chicken 6 in. from the heat until juices run clear; let stand for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Shred chicken with two forks. Drain noodles; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
- 3. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, place half of the noodles, overlapping them. Layer with half of the cheese mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1 piece) equals 240 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,038 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Herbed Chicken Lasagna
"This was good and I did enjoy the lighter version, however, some things are just worth it to me in the traditional version even if it does pack a few more calories. I try to lighten up traditional beef lasagna by using lean ground beef, and reduced fat cottage and ricotta cheese."
"I like chicken and I like lasagna so we can't lose! It was fun to take a standard dish and change it just a little with a really good result! The variety alone is worth the effort!"
"My family loves this! I am wondering if hands on prep could be cut down if you cooked the chicken in a crock pot with the tomatoes, mushrooms, onion and garlic. It would make the chicken easier to shred and that way the layers could be assembled when coming home from work. I'm going to try that next time."
"This is excellent and so easy to make. To save on prep pans, I cut the chicken in small cubes and sauteed in the pan (instead of broiling it) before adding the other veggies and sauce ingredients and it worked out fine. Will definitely be making again (and again). :)"
"I would add ajvar or lutenica along with the tomato paste for a richer flavor layer."
"This is for CalMom62. The recipe is correct, stores sell 12 oz. tomato paste. I got mine from one of the super chains. However, if you can't find it in your area then you can buy the smaller cans."
"This is a great recipe. I know the chicken part of it sounds weird, but it is very good. I used skim ricotta, Egg Beaters, and also ran the chicken through a food processor to make it finely ground. It was excellent!"
"A 12-ounce can of tomato paste? Is that right? Where I am they only come in 5-ounce sizes..."
"turkey would be fine but will give it a little different taste. dls"
"I'm wondering if I could use turkey instead of chicken?"
"A Keeper for sure !! Easy and simply Delicious !!! Just a wonderful meal :) going to be a monthly recipe for sure ."
"I love this recipe and will be making it over and over again. Chicken w/o tasting so much like chicken...yummy!!"
"made this for company the other night. substituted riccota (15oz.) for the cottage cheese. added a little extra mozzarella. Everyone loved it. A keeper recipe. Thumbs up! even the youngsters loved it."
"If you are on weight watchers points plus this is 6 points for 1 serving. Great option!"
"Very yummy! I halved the recipe and used an 8x8 and it was scrumptious."
"I used flat rolled no boil lasagna noodles. fantastic and even better the next day."
"it was great i made this for my dying grandma brought her back to life 8 times i give it a one hundred out of ten"
"My entire family was so taken with this lasagna that I plan on serving it again and again at family parties! I also found that I needed to add more liquid to the sauce prior to baking. What a treat! Thanks for the share!!"
"SO good and a great way to change up lasagna!"
"This is a great way to have lasagna without the guilt and best of all it tastes wonderful! Will definitely make it again!"
"I LOVED this recipe. I did add a little liquid as the sauce cooked, b/c it seemed really dry to me. It was fantastic."
"Added chopped spinach to it and everyone loved it, including my picky 9 year old son!"
"Have made numerous times. Everyone asks for the recipe."
"This is excellent, I had some high school classmates over for supper one night and everyone was asking for the recipe after we ate. I've made it a couple times since then."
"I made this for dinner last week and it was a real hit! It was easy to prepare and no more expensive than regular lasagna. I will make this again and again. Thank you!"
"I admit I wasnt sure at first, but this was so good! Every drop was eaten and raved about."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.