Herbed Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, broil chicken 6 in. from the heat until juices run clear; let stand for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Shred chicken with two forks. Drain noodles; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, place half of the noodles, overlapping them. Layer with half of the cheese mixture, chicken mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Herbed Chicken Lasagna
Sort By :
This was good and I did enjoy the lighter version, however, some things are just worth it to me in the traditional version even if it does pack a few more calories. I try to lighten up traditional beef lasagna by using lean ground beef, and reduced fat cottage and ricotta cheese.
I like chicken and I like lasagna so we can't lose! It was fun to take a standard dish and change it just a little with a really good result! The variety alone is worth the effort!
My family loves this! I am wondering if hands on prep could be cut down if you cooked the chicken in a crock pot with the tomatoes, mushrooms, onion and garlic. It would make the chicken easier to shred and that way the layers could be assembled when coming home from work. I'm going to try that next time.
This is excellent and so easy to make. To save on prep pans, I cut the chicken in small cubes and sauteed in the pan (instead of broiling it) before adding the other veggies and sauce ingredients and it worked out fine. Will definitely be making again (and again). :)
I would add ajvar or lutenica along with the tomato paste for a richer flavor layer.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Pasta >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Lasagna >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Pasta >
- Chicken Pasta Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Chicken Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >