Herbed Chicken and Rice
Marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage make this main dish taste like Thanksgiving. Your family will love the crunchy surprise of chopped walnuts. —Cindy Reams, Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the
- carrots and onion; saute until tender.
- Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Cover
- and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with
- walnuts. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 299 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat,