Marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage make this main dish taste like Thanksgiving. Your family will love the crunchy surprise of chopped walnuts. —Cindy Reams, Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and onion; saute until tender.
- Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with walnuts. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Chicken and Rice in Quick Cooking March/April 2001
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2011
"Enjoyed it a lot but thought it was a little bland so we added some soy sauce and it was just what it needed. We all had seconds."
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2011 Edited Nov. 7, 2014