I love this slow cooker dish because it combines some of my favorite ingredients, such as savory spices, kidney beans and fresh spinach. To create a hearty meal, I eat the chicken soup with a side of crusty bread slathered in butter.—Tanya MacDonald, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in spinach; cook 30 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Top with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Chicken & Spinach Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p75
Reviews for Herbed Chicken & Spinach Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2014
"A delicious, well rounded, heart-warming soup! I'll make again for my friends next week."