I love this slow cooker dish because it combines some of my favorite ingredients, such as savory spices, kidney beans and fresh spinach. To create a hearty meal, I eat the chicken soup with a side of crusty bread slathered in butter.—Tanya MacDonald, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in spinach; cook 30 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Top with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Chicken & Spinach Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p75
Reviews for Herbed Chicken & Spinach Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2017
"Hubby enjoyed it. A tad bland for my taste but still a keeper for my regular rotation."
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2014
"A delicious, well rounded, heart-warming soup! I'll make again for my friends next week."