Herbed Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
Chestnuts lend a bit of crunch to every bite of this moist, buttery stuffing. One taste and you'll understand why it's a family favorite!—Tammy Nordberg, Caledonia, Illinois
- 2-1/2 cups chestnuts
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. With a small sharp knife, score an “X” on the rounded side of each chestnut, being careful not to cut through the nutmeat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add chestnuts. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Drain and return chestnuts to the pan; cover and keep warm. With a kitchen towel or pot holder, remove one or two chestnuts at a time. Peel and discard outer shell and inner skin. Slice nutmeats.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add chestnuts; saute 5 minutes longer. Stir in the stuffing cubes, 1-1/2 cups broth and seasonings.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; pour remaining broth over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 293 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 611 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Herbed Chestnut Stuffing
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC