Herbed Cheese Rings Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, oil, honey, egg, salt, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and herbs. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle half over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- 3. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a sharp knife, cut 1/2-in. slashes at 2-in. intervals. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush each ring with egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds and cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 rings (12 slices each).
1 slice: 131 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Herbed Cheese Rings
"This was tasty and so easy to make. Well-received by everyone at a recent party. I was surprised that a bread without kneading would turn out so well."
"Nice recipe - especially as you can do a lot of the work the day before. That made it easy to make and take into work - where it was very well received!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.