A blend of herbs and a special shape dress up ordinary frozen bread dough in the unbelievably easy recipe.—Deb Stapert, Comstock Park, Michigan
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine butter and seasonings. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Spread with butter mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24 strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Herbed Bread Twists in Birds & Blooms December/January 2000, p55
Reviews for Herbed Bread Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review