- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram and oregano
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine butter and seasonings. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Spread with butter mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold dough into thirds. Cut widthwise into 24 strips. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Herbed Bread Twists in Birds & Blooms December/January 2000, p55
Reviews for Herbed Bread Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2013
"This was so good, I'd give it 6 stars if I could! The spice combination is delicious, and these rolls come out of the oven looking like they came from a gourmet Italian restaurant.I made a few minor adjustments: Instead of 1/4 cup butter, I only used 2 Tbsp, while leaving the spice amounts as written. I thought 2 Tbsp worked fine, and the taste was still great! Also, in addition to the 3/4 cup mozzarella, I sprinkled in some grated Parmesan cheese because my family loves the taste.Soft, doughy, and cheesy, these are rolls I will definitely make again and again!"