Herbed Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 3 bay leaves
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. Return beans to pan; add broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, celery, carrot, peppers and garlic in oil until tender.
- 3. Add the tomato paste, herbs and seasonings to the bean mixture. Add the sauteed vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 203 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.