- heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost
- tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, celery,
- carrot, peppers and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add the tomato paste, herbs and seasonings to the bean mixture. Add
- the sauteed vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 203 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.