Herbed Biscuits Recipe
- SEASONING MIX:
- 2 tablespoon each dried oregano, marjoram and basil
- 4 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1. Combine seasoning mix ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- 2. For biscuits, saute 1 tablespoon mix and onion in 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet until onion is tender; set aside.
- 3. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg, milk and onion mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-15 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Melt remaining butter; brush over biscuits. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 biscuits (1/2 cup seasoning mix).
1 serving (1 each) equals 265 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 419 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Herbed Biscuits
"i would love to try this but I don't want to make seasoning for eight batches. Any ideas how much to use for just one batch?"