These savory biscuits bake up golden and tender. The blend of herb seasonings is irresistible. Keep the convenient seasoning mix on hand for a variety of uses.—Jane Everett, Pinehurst, North Carolina
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Bread Recipes
- SEASONING MIX:
- 2 tablespoon each dried oregano, marjoram and basil
- 4 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Combine seasoning mix ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- For biscuits, saute 1 tablespoon mix and onion in 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet until onion is tender; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg, milk and onion mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-15 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Melt remaining butter; brush over biscuits. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 biscuits (1/2 cup seasoning mix).
Originally published as Herbed Biscuits in Taste of Home April/May 1999, p41
Reviews for Herbed Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2011
"i would love to try this but I don't want to make seasoning for eight batches. Any ideas how much to use for just one batch?"