Herbed Beef Vegetable Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each oregano, savory and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggplant, zucchini, onion, yellow pepper and garlic; cook until tender. Add tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup of cheese, broth and seasonings; mix well.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 257 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.