If your family is resistant to eating vegetables, offer them this dish! Eggplant, zucchini, onion and yellow pepper are disguised in a beefy tomato sauce. - Betty Blandford, Johns Island, South Carolina
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each oregano, savory and thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggplant, zucchini, onion, yellow pepper and garlic; cook until tender. Add tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup of cheese, broth and seasonings; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Vegetable Medley in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p169
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Herbed Beef Vegetable Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review